Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sweet Sunday #12

Even though I´m a real Viennese girl, I had never been to the famous Café Sacher - until last Sunday when a friend of a friend who was visiting Vienna for the first time, wanted to eat an Original Sachertorte. The cake was invented by chance by Franz Sacher in 1832 for Prince Klemens Wenzel von Metternich. Sachertorte consists of two layers of chocolate cake with a layer of apricot jam and dark chocolate icing on the top and side and is usually served with a portion of unsweetened whipped cream - the recipe is a well-kept secret. There are various recipes attempting to copy the "Original", but the "Original Sacher Torte" is available exclusively at the Vienna and Salzburg locations of the Hotel Sacher, the Cafés Sacher in Vienna, Salzburg, Graz and Innsbruck and at the Hotel Sacher's online shop.

4 comments:

  1. The important question is,did you have any of the Sachretorte? I'm not big into chocolate cake but I did have some when I last visited Vienna. Give me Strudel anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am DEFINITELY going to Café Sacher to have the original and famous Sachertorte when I come visit this year. I can't wait.
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bill: Of course I ate a slice of Sachertorte, actually the one that you see in this photo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have of course heard about this cafe, and I could probably eat that cake any time.

    ReplyDelete