Friday, August 1, 2014

August Theme Day: Take Away Store

A Würstelstand (literally "sausage stand") is the Austrian version of a hot dog stand. These stands were initially created during the period of the Austro-Hungarian Empire to provide a source of income for incapacitated former soldiers. Not until the 1960s were the stands allowed to become stationary. The Bitzinger sausage stand next to the Albertina museum is held to be on of the best in Vienna. Currently it also catches the eye because of the green replica of Albrecht Dürer's "Young Hare" on top it.
Click here to view thumbnails of all participants in the theme day.

9 comments:

  1. Always a good sign when it's busy at the take away spot. I like the picture and the green animal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sausages on the run - my kind of lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a few of these on my trip to Austria a couple of years ago and I did enjoy them. Great take away shop for theme day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it certainly is not hare today, gone tomorrow. Looks like a popular and permanent establishment now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The green rabbit would definitely catch my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these stands are big in all the German-speaking countries. Here in Berlin, most sell currywurst, although I don't eat meat so I've never tried it.
    Great choice for the theme day. And love the bunny too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the history of when this sort of take-away food was first allowed in Vienna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice substantial take away business. Looks popular too!

    ReplyDelete