In the early 20th century, most cities inEurope had gaslit streets. In Vienna 45.000 gas lamps were registered in 1913. Gas lighting for streets soon gave way to electric lighting, although the transition took decades to complete. In Vienna the last gas lamp was extinguished in the 13th district on 27 November 1962 by Mayor Franz Jonas. Now it is located in front of the Hietzing local museum.