Sunday, January 6, 2013

Servite Church

In 1638 Emperor Ferdinand III allowed the Servite Order to found a monastery in Vienna. The foundation stone of the church of the Servites was laid in November 1751. Inspired by Italian architecture the church was built by Martin Carlone and dedicated to the Annunciation to the Virgin. The church was consecrated in 1760 though the interior decoration was completed  only 7 years later.