Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ritta And Hektor

May I introduce Ritta and Hektor to you? These two Tyrolean cows are currently living in Augarten and form an "art work" by the Danish artists' group Superflex (Rasmus Nielsen, Jakob Fenger and Bjørnstjerne Christiansen)...
In 1942 the Austrian sculptor Gustinus Ambrosi was commissioned to model the sculpture "Jungfrau mit Kuh" (Maiden with Cow) for the park of the New Reich Chancellery in Berlin to pair with another art work ("Youth with Bull"). Ambrosi identified the perfect Fleckvieh cow in Kitzbühel, Tyrol, to pose as a model for this prestigious artwork. Ritta and Hektor are descendants of this cow and have been brought to Ambrosi's last studio (which now houses the Thyssen-Bornemisza Art Contemporary) to serve as a living portal to the past and as tokens of the sculptor’s affection for the cow... I love art, even modern art, but sometimes I really don´t get it.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I am confused. Are these two the models for the art, or are they the art itself. After the open-air photo gallery we saw in November in Paris, this is just odd, not waaaay out there in any sense of the word.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you and Genie. Some art I just don't "get"!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Genie: I think these cows are the art...

    ReplyDelete