The Kunsthistorisches Museum (Museum of Fine Arts), opened in 1891, was constructed by Gottfried Semper and Karl Hasenauer in order to house the art collections of the imperial Habsburg family and to make it accessible to the general public. On the square in front of the museum is located a monument to Empress Maria Theresia, the only female ruler of the Habsburg dominians and the last of the House of Habsburg. She implemented significant reforms to strenghten Austria´s military and bureaucratic efficiency (e.g. she established the compulsary education for children of both genders from the ages of six to twelve years). There are also some small fountains on the square.