Saturday, April 10, 2010
St. Charles Church
St. Charles´ Church was built as a result of a vow taken by Emperor Charles VI during a plague epidemic. It is consecrated to the patron saint of the Habsburg emperor, Saint Charles Borromeo. The church is the last work of the eminent baroque architect Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. The construction began in 1716 and was finished - after J.B. Fischer von Erlach´s death - by his son Joseph Emmanuel in 1737 who sligthly changed the plans of his father.