The Gasometers, former gas tanks, were built from 1896 to 1899. In 1978 they were designated as protected historic landmarks. The Gasometers were retired in 1984 due to Vienna'as conversion from coal gas to natural gas. In 1995 the City of Vienna called for ideas for a new use of the structures. Six years later the remodelling and revitalization was completed: The gasometers now house 600 apartments, a student dormitory, offices, shops, a music hall and the JAM Music Lab University, a private university for jazz and popular music.